Friday 27 July 2012

My Olympics is over already....

While the whole World - or 4 billion of you - are gearing up to watch tonight's opening ceremony and the golden moments over the next fortnight, I'll be reflecting on my own brief Olympic experience.

When Saturday Comes commissioned me to cover the Men's football tournament matches at Old Trafford, featuring United Arab Emirates versus Uruguay and the controversial Great Britain team in action against our old friends from Senegal.

After the hype of the GB team in the run-up to the Games came the reality: a family-friendly atmosphere which never had the cutting edge of a 'real' international match. The home songs were muted and there was even applause for the opposition - something which was welcome but unexpected in the context of international football. No-one, other than manager Stuart Pearce, seemed bothered that Team GB had not won. Most people in the near-capacity crowd just seemed delighted to be at an Olympic event.

Probably because of the absence of players from Scotland and Northern Ireland, not to mention the location of the match, the crowd sported England and GB colours in equal measure. I saw only one saltire being waved - but don't worry lads, I know where the offender lives!

For colour and energy, it was the wig-wearing Uruguayans who stole the show.

So the bandwagon rolls on without me. I'm off on holiday. I'll be keeping an eye on Usain Bolt and the other great Olympians. As for the football, I just can't wait until the real season kicks-off at Dumbarton on 18th August.

To see a gallery of photos from Old Trafford, please visit http://colinmcpherson.photoshelter.com/



1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete